by A.M. Ewing
Headmaster Basil C. Chard, Box 241, Bulawayo

Cedric was started in 1919 by Mr Basil C. Chard on Umvutcha farm in premises that had at one time been the Umgusa Hotel, situated about 200 yards from the banks of the Umgusa river. Mr. Chard M.A. Oxford, had been, immediately prior to the founding of his private school, the deputy Headmaster of Milton School in Bulawayo. Before coming up to Bulawayo Mr Chard had been a master at the Diocesan College ("Bishops") in Rondebosch, Cape. While there he had built up a reputation as a great coach of rugger - it was said of him that he used a light cane to ensure that the boys packed low and pushed in the scrums.

While at Milton he must have looked forward to the day when he could start his own private school.

He put out 'feelers' in Bulawayo and 5 professional and business men are believed to have made small loans, possibly as much as £l00 (pounds) each. Their names were Dr. Head, Dr. Vigne, Mr. Ellman-Brown, Mr. Passons and Mr. Hodges. A sixth person Mr. Herud a mining man from the midlands also joined in financing Mr. Chard -there may have been others as well. All these gentlemen had sons who were to attend the school.

With finance assured Mr. Chard was able to launch his Cedric College in the old Umgusa Hotel which in 1919 was a private house. The Umgusa Hotel, before the turn of the century used to offer fishing boating, swimming, shooting and billiards! and it naturally had a bar! History has it that Rudyard Kipling once spent a night in this hostelry and made a very unsuccessful attempt to jump over the trellis work on the verandah - his foot caught the top of the trellis and he came down heavily in the garden below.

S.W. Jameson, a great grand nephew of Sir Leander Starr Jameson, was the first head boy for which the young Jameson was presented with a book (Wagner operas) in which is inscribed "Cedric College" and the school motto "VIRTUTE ET LITTERIS presented to S.W. Jameson, Head Boy, MDCCCCXIX."

The school uniform was light grey with light grey flannelette shirts. The school colours were Red Black Yellow on a white background. The school badge on hatband and blazer was a German eagle. Photos show that 2 kinds of ties were used, one with the colours running lengthwise and another with the colours across.

There were approximately 35 boys at Umvutcha and the names of some are :

S.W. Jameson
R.L. Moffat
J.S. Vigne
E.D. Head
A.L. Bickle
John Gayer
W.J. Sticklen
R. Davey
J. Hill
H.S. Herud
John Hodges
Geoff Ellman-Brown
Fana Robinson
R.W. Forrester
J. Lockley
A.A. Webb
D.G. Anderson
D. Hendry
Nigel & Anthony Parsons
Ron Mitchell
- father manager of Rezende Mine
- father 2nd premier of Southern Rhodesia
- father Doctor of Bulawayo
- father Doctor of Bulawayo
- illeg.
- father farmer in Mazoe Valley
- father Manager Owl Mine, Gatooma
- Doctor of G & P Que Que , [Globe & Phoenix mine?]
- father Chief Engineer on Lonely Mine
- father mining man Selukwe and Midlands
- father Editor of Bulawayo Chronicle
- father Insurance - Southern Life?
- father Sim Vieta Robinson
- Doctor of Bulawayo
- father farmer in Pemba N. Rhod.
- father was Consulting Eng. to the Goldfields
- for only 6 weeks

The only master whose name is known is a Mr Stevenson who taught French, Maths & Physics so the brunt of teaching appears to have been shared between Mr and Mrs Chard and himself.The house-keeper was thought to have been a Mrs. Clarke but this is not 100% certain.

By kind permission of Wendy Fox

Cricket was played here but there is no record of any matches with other schools. A school magazine was produced and perhaps the No 1 volume was from the "Umvutcha" Cedric but the No 2 volume dated December 1921 was produced from the "Queens-Road" Cedric.

From information gathered from boys who attended Cedric in 1919/20 it appears that there was insufficient accommodation for all the boys, so many of them slept on the large verandah.

The old hotel lounge, with its beautiful ceiling, was used as a dining room and another room was turned into a gymnasium and one can still see signs of where the 'Horse' and 'parallel bars' were situated.

A sum of two hundred pounds (£200.0.0.) per year, was paid by Mr. Chard to Mr. Fletcher.

Cedric College was probably the first real 'private' school In Rhodesia - the buildings, grounds, etc were privately owned from 1921.


Old photograph of Umvutcha House. It faces the Umguza River.

In 1897 the Umgusa Hotel was built on the south side of the Umgusa river - some 200 yards from its bank. It was built by a man (whose name is forgotten) who owned an undertakers business in Bulawayo, 2 miles away. With the help of the Standard Bank a really beautiful building was erected. However, in spite of fishing, shooting, boating, swimming, aided by a bar, the unfortunate undertaker was unable to meet his committments to the Bank and the Manager of the Bank, George Mitchell, later to become a Prime Minlster for a very short spell, had to insist that a goodly proportion of all burial fees etc had to be paid to the Bank to reduce the overdraft. The Bank had to finally close on the unfortunate fellow and the Hotel and the farm it was on, Umvutcha, became the Bank's property.

The farm and buildings (hotel) were then leased to two brothers (foreigners) for the growing of Turkish tobacco who imported the seed from Turkey and grew what is believed to have been the first tobacco in Matabeleland but not necessarily in Rhodesia. This tobacco was grown before Mr. Peosner grew his turkish tobacco a mile or so away in Glenville. The brothers had a small factory in the old hotel and manufactured Turkish cigarettes - this was about 1906-8.

Chronicle tobacco entries 1904 & 1905

The Bank had cut up a part of the farm into 50 acre plots some of which had been sold to the public. In 1908 Mr R.A. Fletcher bought the farm Umvutcha and the old hotel and, unknown to him at the time, the remaining unsold plots. The Fletchers moved into the cottage near the hotel and the tobacco producers were allowed to stay on in the house/hotel and finish off their crop and sell the balance of the cigarettes.

About 1909/10 the Fletchers then moved out of the cottage and into their large house/hotel. It was a magnificent building with a huge lounge, numerous rooms and an empty bar and billiard room. The concrete foundations for the 8 legs of the billiard table can still be seen. In early 1919 the Fletchers moved back into Bulawayo and leased the premises to Mr Chard.

The farm is named after the Matabele Royal Kraal that Lobengula had built in 1880 and in which he lived on and off until November 1893 when he left and fled northwards - Umvutcha can best be described as his country residence - his Royal Kraal Gubulawayo was his administrative capital.

Should missionaries, hunters, traders and concession seekers wish to see Lobengula they would outspan their wagons near a large tree some 2 000 yards south of the Royal Kraal Umvutcha and near the Umgusa river and await His Majesty's pleasure before seeing him, often waiting weeks and even months. In fact Rudd's party had to wait about a month before they could get down to business and discuss what was to be known as the Rudd Concession. This tree, known today as the Missionary Tree is a National Monument, and was also known as the Boggie Tree -Boggie had carved his name in the tree in 1888 with the help of a chisel and one of the 'Gs' can still be plainly seen. The tree bark growth now covers the rest of Boggie's name.

It was at the Umvutcha Kraal that the famous Rudd Concession was 'signed' on the 30th October 1888 by Lobengula, witnessed by Rev. C.D. Helm and by C.D. Rudd, Rochfort Maguire and F.R. Thompson.
In 1896 the pioneer survey firm of Fletcher and Espin were in this area surveying farms. Pat Fletcher and R..A., brothers, were the Fletchers in this firm. As the Royal Kraal was sited on a slight rise, in fact one could look right across to Gubulawayo in those days before all the bush encroachment had taken place, the Surveyor had a 'fix' on a very large tree in the Umvutcha Kraal. An assistant climbed the tree and waved the pole with a bit of white limbo attached and when the reading had been taken, a small stone in the place of a plumb bob was dropped down and at that point the survey beacon was erected -it served as a corner beacon for three farms e.g. Y This tree was Lobengula's "Meat" tree. It was under this tree that all animals were slaughtered, cut up and the meat apportioned by the King to his staff and followers.
The Royal Kraal was so large that there was sufficient "firewood" to keep the residents in Bulawayo supplied with wood for kitchen fires for over two years and remember that this wood was really dry and would burn up easily!

Letter of anecdotes from Annie to Col. Vaughan-Williams, 19 July 1938

Extracts from Rhodesian Journal, April 1910. A visit to the kraal

Map of area by R.A. Fletcher, 1910.

Gravesite of Annie Fletcher.

Umutcha House 2003


Chard was keen to build a school of his own, and no-doubt to his own design, so he purchased a small holding on the right hand side of the Queens Road going north between the Matjisumhlopi and Umgusa rivers, about four miles out of Bulawayo - just before the 'suburb' of Orange Grove, where a few houses scattered about had been built in those days.

In 1921 the school moved en bloc to its new premises on the Queens Road. About 20 boys came over from Umvutcha and they were the nucleus of the new school. By the end of 1921 there were 36 boys attending, a few of whom were 'day' boys and the year 1922 started off with 45 boys.

Mr. H.U. Moffat, later to become the second Premier of Southern Rhodesia, addressed the parents and the boys and presented the school prizes at the end of the school year in 1921,

The Rev. G.E.P.Broderick B.Sc, London, formed the school staff at the beginning of 1921 and stayed for 2 years. From information gathered in our Nationial Archives we learn that Mr Broderick was born in Kimberly in 1879 and educated at Beckhamstead school and London University where he got his B.Sc in 1902. He worked for a few years just as a teacher and then with a firm of Industria Chemists. He took Holy Orders in 1905 and was ordained a prles in 1906 and then came out to Bulawayo the same year to become assistant priest at St Johns Church and was also a part-time master at St Johns College in Bulawayo. He then became a Missionary with St Augustine's mission in Penhalonga and was stationed at Bonda for 6 years. He was at St Colombos mission in Bulawayo for 2 years. After leaving Cedric he became the Principal of the Domboshawa Government School for Africans and remained there 12 years - he was made an Honorary Canon of Southern Rhodesia In 1947, and Canon of Mashonaland in 1952. He wrote several books on African Education and died on the 27th June 1958.

While at Cedrlc he took a very keen interest in the Boy Scout movement. Hls main subject in the classroom was the teaching of physics and divinity.

Another master about that time was Mr. Charles Barton. He and Mrs Barton came from Lancashire. He was a very good cricketer who had played Lancashire League cricket but had not made the County Side. Mrs. Barton taught as well, one of her subjects being elocution. Mr and Mrs Barton only stayed about a year when they left Cedric and started their own Preparatory school for boys in Hillside, Bulawayo. They called the school Garton Grange. [check: Barton/Garton Grange]

MR H.H. COLE B.Sc.. Bristol

An extract from the Cedric College Magazine No 5 April 1923 says "An important vacancy on the staff was filled at the beginning of the term by the arrival from England of Mr H.H. Cole B.Sc (Science and Mathematics). After serving throughout the war (1914-18 Star etc) and receiving a commission in the Cheshire Regiment, he took his degree at Bristol University. Besides undertaking the Boxing and Drawing classes he has taken over the Scout Troop, which he is bringing up to a high degree of efficiency. 53 years later we read that Hugh Cole, C.B.E. B.Sc is about to retire He had in this time accomplished much. He had been a partner in Cedric College for which he had paid £500. He had been headmster Chaplin (Gwelo), Prince Edwald, Falcon and St. Stephens at Ballaballa and had been Vice Principal of Milton School. He became Chief Education Officer and later was appointed Secretary for Education to the Government of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, and finally was on the staff of the University of Rhodesia though he held no formal teaching qualification!


The same magazine goes on - "Arthur C. Curle joined the staff at the same time. He had served throughout the war, had been mentioned in despatches and had been commissioned in the H.L.I. He had been a member of the Warwickshire County 1st XI - had played rugby for North Midlands and hockey for his County, Warwickshire".

Mr. Curle played hockey and cricket in Bulawayo and played for Rhodesia against the Transvaal in Bulawayo in March 1923. He took a very keen interest in the Scout Troop. He coached us at cricket and gave us an idea of what "rugger" was all about - it was after all a bit difficult to play serious rugby when the boys ranged from 10 years old to boys of 16 and only some 30 to choose from.

When Curle left Cedric he joined the Rhodesia Railways.

Two other masters were associated with Queens Road Cedric. One was Mr. Rylands

The other was an elderly man Mr. Brindley who worked part time. He was not a qualified teacher. As he lived close by on the other side of the Queens Road where there were about 3 houses (Broderick had one of them) he was handy and could be called upon quickly if any master was ill. His main subject was drawing. He taught in 1921.

The 1st Matron was a Mrs. Rawstone 1921 and 1922. She resigned at the end of 1922 to take up a post offered her in the Government School Hostel at Hartley and her place was taken by a Mrs. Barness. This lady had a very unpleasant experience one night when an African male entered her room which was adjacent to one of the dormitories and tried to molest her - she promptly pulled out her revolver from under her pillow and shot him in the shoulder. The African bled profusely and was easily tracked down by the Police - Mrs. Barness' effort earned her a "mention" in College Magazine No 5 when it said that "Mrs Barness is to be congratulated on the success of her shot"!


Basil Chard was a product of Keble College Oxford where he obtained his M.A. He joined the staff of the Diocesian College, Rondebosch in 1904 and remained at 'Bishops' till the end of 1917.

The following is an extract from the Bishops Magazine of December 1917.

"Mr Chard has been on the staff for 14 years and has rendered splendid service to the College both in the classroom and in the playing fields. He played for the old College 1st XV in its days and was rightly regarded as one of its best 'forwards'. He also kept wicket for the College 1st XI. Ever since he first came here Mr Chard has ably and diligently coached the school teams at "rugger" - Bishops has produced many brilliant individual foot-ballers and generally turned out a fine team every year; it is safe to say the teams of the last dozen years have owed a great deal of their excellence to Mr Chard's coaching. It goes without saying that Mr Chard has made hundreds of friends among present and past Diocesans, and these will join us in our expressions of regret that the College is losing the services of so genial a sportsman and efficient a teacher. The cause of his resignation is also a matter to us of great regret: Mrs Chard's health during the past year has given rise to grave anxiety, and she has been ordered by her doctor to leave the coast and live up country. Mr. Chard has just been appointed Vice-Principal of Milton College (school) in Bulawayo and we take this opportunity of wishing him and his wife success and every happiness in their new sphere".

The reference to his playing for the 1st XV and 1st XI may appear puzzling but until 1911 Bishops had undergraduates and played in 1st league rugger and cricket in Cape Town. Many Springbok teams until 1911 contained men who were students at Bishops.

Mr. Chard, on leaving Bishops presented the school with the Cup that bears his name, for the inter-house athletic competition. He remained at Milton for roughly one year and then started his Cedric College. Mr. Chard's aim was to build a school modelled on English Public School lines. The debating Society was introduced at an early stage and many were the debates held. Perhaps the best was the one ''that it is better to look a bigger fool than one is, than to be a bigger fool than one looks". Despite a certain amount of complication over the motion, it was discovered to be quite a debatable point, and, although certainly they hadn't much choice in the matter, the majority of boys preferred to be bigger fools than they looked!! (the motion was defeated by 25 votes to 5). For - Gayer, seconded by Berrington (ma) ; against - Stieklen (mi), seconded by Swiney.

Scouting played a very prominent part in the activities of Cedric. Cedric was in fact more closely identified with the Scout movement than any school in the country. The Bulawayo Town Troop was the No 1 troop and the Cedric Troop was No 2 troop in Matabeleland, The Cedric Cub Pack was the No 4 cub pack in 1924. The troop excelled at Morse, heliograph and semaphore signalling as well as bush craft. Mr. Trott was the signal instructor - he was attached to the old SRV (later to become the Rhodesia Regiment).

As the country round Cedric was practically unoccupied (there were very few houses in the area at the time) scouting took place over a very large area of wild thickly wooded country - we could roam miles in all directions and every scout and cub enjoyed the various games we played.

Our small Troop boasted 2 King Scouts in Vigne and Head who both attended the Jamboree in England in 1924. Our 14 mile walk took us across Hulls farm Woodville to Ntabasinduna from there on to Cement Siding where tea and cake was laid on by Mrs. Sherwell, wife of the manager of the Cement factory, and finally back to Cedric.
The Troop attended the 1921 Armistice day celebration at the Cenotaph in Bulawayo. In June 1923 the Troop attended the Ceremonial opening of the Hospital Gateway as a memorial to Scout Services rendered during the War - later in the same year a Guard of Honour to meet HRH Prince Arthur of Connaught, Chief Scout for South Africa, was formed by detachments from each troop (1-2 and 10) with our Scoutmaster Cole in charge . Chard, Broderick and Cole were the Scoutmasters between 1919 and 1923 and Curle was the assistant Scoutmaster.

Library - by the time the school moved from Umvutcha to Queens Road the Library a/c had reached £4.18.1. and by the end of December 1923 it stood at £17.15.5.

The school put on at least two plays before it moved to Salisbury - one was "Chu Chin Chow" when all of us had parts however small,

The last we know of Mr Chard was that he was in Shabani about 1950 - he was an evangelist!

Cricket. As the Cedrlc year was divlded into three terms cricket was played in the first and third terms. Many matches were arranged for us against Plumtree School and other Bulawayo teams and St. George's who then had not moved up to Salisbury.

Perhaps the most memorable and certainly the one we would like to forget most was the game (massacre would be a better word) against Plumtree's 2nd XI which took place at Plumtree In 1921. Mr Chard must have been out of his mind when he challenged the opposition to this game! Our team averaged 13 years while their youngest was 15. Their chaps were big -and old - I've a sneaklng suspicion that some of them lived in married quarters!! but it was a very pleasant weekend for our team. We left Cedrlc on a Frlday evening in the Zeederberg coach that Cedric used for transport between the School and the railway station. As we left 'home' it started to rain and some 2 hours later we arrived at the Station and promptly got into the railway coach - and slept. Early next morning the engine hooked us up and took us as far as Plumtree where our rail carriage was shunted into a side track and uncoupled - this was to be our dormitory during our stay.
Perhaps the least said about this match the better! Plumtree batted 1st and soon knocked up 357 of whch Boss Lilford made over 150!! We replied with 18 and 32 - enough said! The Plumtree tuck shop must have been open all day as I can remember we kids getting through an enormous quantity of cocoa and condensed milk - we slept the Saturday night in our carriage and left Plumtree late on Saturday afternoon arriving in Bulawayo too late to be taken back to Cedric so we slept a third night in the carriage.

Our team was R.L Moffat (Capt), E.D. Head (Vice C), Ken Nauson, Harold Herud (wk,), Jackie Hill,, Albany Bickle, A.H. (Fana) Robinson, Geoff Ellman-Brown, Robert (Bob) Davey, myself Alastair Ewing, and I think Rex Rome made up the team. Ellman-Brown, Rex Rome and myself Ewing, were only 11 years old. While Hill, Davey and Robinson were 12 I think.

Hockey was the maln game in the winter term -it was played on a very rough ground with no grass whatsoever on it. The fleld was fast in places and slow in others when the ball would be "lost" in the dust so control by 12 and 13 year olds was well nigh imposslble. Ken Nauson was our star player and he later played fcr Rhodesia as did Bob Wllliams who attended Cedric when the school had moved up to Salisbury. Our coach was Mr Curle, a very good player himself.

I do not recollect Athletics ever having taken place, possibly because of the different age of the 40 boys, but they did take place on August 26th 1925, when the school had moved to Salisbury.

Over and above the boys who came over from Umvutcha the following also attended in the Queens Road.

Alexander Scott
Michael Scott
V. Berrlngton
B. Berrington
W. Brownlee Walker
Ross Brownlee Walker
Alastair Ewing
John Ewing
Jimmy Hull
John Hull
J. Hill (ma)
Jack Brereton
Arthur Drummond Forbes
E.K. Wright
D. Martin
F.C. South
Ken Nanson
Francis Newman
R.H Weatherllt (Botswana)
Charles Weatherllt (Botswana) [check]
Bobby McLaurin
Stuart G. McLaurin
Peter Donaldson
Mike Hagethorn [Hagethron?]
Etienne Piernet (from Congo)
Sam McCullogh
Roderick S. MacDonald
Jimmy Haskins [Francstown)
E. Solomon (Didi)
Jack Davidson (Livingstone)
Peter Roscoe
Rex Rome
Eric Teagle-(N. Rhod).
Boo Swiney [Boo Sweiney?]
Bunny Sticklen (mi )

Towards the end of 1923 Mr Chard sold a share of his Cedric to Mr. Cole - Mr. Chard also announced that the coming term "Lent" in 1924 would be the last at the Queens Road site as the school was moving to Salisbury. Cedrlc School Magazine No 8 under Headmasters Notes says "The great move has been successfully accomplished and we are now settled in our permanent quarters. We have lost a number of boys owing to it but some of them would have left in any case by reason of the bad times and their places have been more than filled by new boys.

Our new situation is certainly very bracing and the health of the school has been excellent - there has been no illness except a few colds. We are delighted with our surroundings, and our pros- pects, generally, appear to be distinctly good.

Owing to various unforeseen circumstances a1l the buildings have not yet been completed, but in no way has this been allowed to interfere with the work of the school" etc etc,

The premises were a great improvement on those at the Queens Road site. They were situated on a ridge with open, sloping ground on two sides. The grounds consisted of 50 acres with plenty of level space for cricket, rugby and hockey grounds, and tennis courts. The water was plentiful and provision was made for a swimmlng bath, something that was missing on the Queens Road.

Prefects at the New school were -

Ken Nauson -Senior Prefect Jack Sticklen -Prefect J. Gayer -Sub prefect F.W. Newman -Sub prefect.

Sticklem and Gayer were the only 2 boys who attended Umvutcha, Queens Road and Bishops Mount Cedric Schools!

At the end of the first term at Bishops Mount Mr. and Mrs Chard decided to take leave and they left for England leaving Mr. Cole, the partner, as the Headmaster - the Chards did not return to Rhodesia! instead he became the private tutor to the children of the Maharajah of Baroda in India.

In the absence of Mr Chard (on leave for 1 term?) Mr. T. McChlery BA took over his particular branch of school work - he also coached the boys at Rugger and Boxing - he only stayed the one term and went on to Oxford.

The first Matron at Bishops Mount was Miss Dunlop who only stayed 3 weeks - her place was taken by Miss Z. Sloan. Mr. C.F. Bishop joined the staff at the beginning of the term (June) as games master. After the Great War, during which he was wounded while serving with the 8th Middlesex, he played cricket for Somerset County XI in 1921 and had been asked to play for Gloucestershire . In hockey he hed been a member of the Dorset County and West of England elevens.

Sometime in 1927 Bishop Paget, Bishop of Southern Rhodesla, approached Mr Cole on the desirability of establishing a Diocesan Preparatory School in Mashonaland. The Bishop had met Robert Grimb[? ] and Maurice Caven in 1926 when they had come out with hopes of starting a church School on lines they had worked out together, They came up to Rhodesia and found an ideal site at the Ruzawi 4 miles from Marandellas. As there was really no need for two junior schools about 50 miles apart it was suggested that perhaps Mr Cole would throw in his lot with the new school but Mr. Cole decided he'd rather get out entirely. The result was that the Diocese of Mashonaland bought for £3 000 the 50 acres and the buildings from Mr. D.V. Williams who had erected the buildings to be used as a school and who actually moved the property which Messrs Gruinham and Carou bought the goodwill of the school from Mr Cole.

In the preliminary prospectus sent out by the principals of the proposed new school under the heading -Diocese of Southern Rhodesia, Diocesan Preparatory School for boys (to be started in January 1928) and stating its aims etc, Messrs Carver & Grinham said "We are now able to announce that the Headmaster of Cedric School, realising the necessity of a Diocesan Preparatory School leading up to Senior Diocesan School and being in entlre sympathy with the venture, has decided to give up his school in December, He is transferring his goodwill to us, and is recommending the parents of his boys to transfer them to the new school, and so a new school Ruzawi was launched which will be celebrating its 50 years this coming year.

Mr Chard came back to S. Africa and in 1940 when masters were at a premium owing to the war and he was taken on by Michaelhouse, Natal. He was last seen in Shabani where he was an evangelist. I have recently had a letter from England saying Chard died in Devon aged 90 and blind.

New names to be added to the list of Cedric Pupils who attended in Salisbury are :

R. Gray., L. Black, W..Williams, A.E. Kincaid-Smith, R. Bernard, J. Glanfield, E. Johnson, G.M. Scott, W.M. Scott, P. Simmons, and R. Williams all entered in 1924. P.C. Bird, F.N. Nicol, W.R. Taylor, P.E.Taylor and W.A. Ludgater, Howe-Ely MA, Howe-Ely MI, Scorror, Easten, Copping, Thorne, Broderick, Peake, Devine, Gillespie, C. Schaeffer, Byron-Moore, Rawson, Klette, Love, Gatchelet, J.S. Shattoek. No doubt some have been forgotten.


J. Ewing (mi) remembers going into Bulawayo in Chard's Ford, an old tin lizzie that condescended to "go" that day, when they came suddenly onto some donkeys in the middle of the dusty Queens road. The hooter worked but not the brakes and though the donkey got out of the way in time there was one animal lying down and the car went over it! The car had to be tilted up one slde with the help of some Africans and the donkey, still alive and unhurt, pulled out sideways. E.D. Head remembers Herud who had raided some nearby orchards one night and stored the grapefruit in his locker - he left it there so long that it went off and stank the room out.

A.M. Ewing (ma) remembers his dining room table mates having a competition to see who could stuff the most bread into his mouth. This was a non starter from its inception as Rex Rome had a large mouth so we thought - anyhow we all managed about 1 slice of bread each while Rome stuffed in three and was attempting a fourth when Chard from the top table called out "Rome, come up here, as you are - turn round and let everyone see you". Bread was oozing out of his mouth, ears and nostrils!! Mike Hagethron remembers (and so do I) an exceptional lightning storm one evening - it lasted 15 minutes and not for a single second was the sky free from lightning - and the wind ripped part of the roof off the shed.

Stuart McLaurin (mi) remembers Mrs. Burness the matron shootlng the African. He was the youngest boy (about 8) in the school so his bed was nearest Mrs. Burness' room. He awoke to find a ghost going past! It was the African draped in a sheet. A few says later the Prosecutor called on him to give evidence in the case in the Magistrate's Court. The magistrate was furious and yelled to the prosecutor "to get this child out of here immediately - it's no place for a child".

A.M. Ewlng (ma) remembers belng offered one shilling every time I bowled Bob Davey, The wicket was the usual paraffin tin and we played "in the middle". I had to fag every ball - those he hit and those that went for byes. I used a "Compo" ball that had a lot of bounce in it and the few good balls 1 bowled bounced right over the "tin" stumps - I bowled for over 1 hour and earned nothing!
I remember too, going into town for a music lesson at St. Peters School. The old Lizzie always "konked out" in the Matjesmhlope river and we kids would have to get out of shoes and socks and push. This was, of course, when there was only a drift across the river -no low level bridge even in those days.

Scouting was great fun and I remember Mickey Vigne, one of our best scouts, being taken into the bush and told to get back to school without being spotted by the rest of the scouts who were not allowed within a radius of about 200 yards of the school. He did it alright - he must have arranged beforehand to have some old torn dirty and possibly smelly clothes cached away. He blackened himself with the help of a burnt cork or two and carried the usual stick over his shoulder whlle carrying an old kaffir pot. He walked through the lot of us! Had anyone just spoken to this "kaffir" the game would have been up as Mlckey stuttered badly! ( John's great Uncle. [handwritten])

Harold Herud remembers the vegetable garden near the windmill - boys were encouraged to grow a bed or more of vegetables which the school would purchase from the boys, the money going into the Scout a/c. Most of us planted green beans and radish as they were about the quickest growing vegetable.

I am sure all old Cedric boys will remember the old lion in the Bulawayo zoo - he was reputed to have been the largest lion in captivity and his roaring could be heard plainly at Cedric about 2-3 miles distant. The lion's name was Gungwe and he was presented to the zoo or was captured as a cub, I'm not sure which, in May 1910. He was captured by Mr C.W. Adams of Inyati district (Turk Mine today) who shot the mother on a small hill beyond the Lonely Mine called Gungwe and when Adams approached the dead lioness he found the cub suckling from its dead mother.

Tony Parsons remembers that he and his brother Nigel used to ride to the Umvutcha School, one on a bicycle and the other on a donkey!

Ken Nauson writes "I remember one day one of the boys was taken ill and Chard decided that he should be taken in to Dr Head in Bulawayo, but as usual his old Ford refused to start. Two brothers (Hulls) used to come to school in an old donkey cart from a nearby farm and I offered to drive this into Bulawayo to the Doctor. Knowing very little about these brutes the journey was a hair-raising experience and I'm sure that the zig-zag wheel tracks into Bulawayo and back must have made a wonderful pattern in that dusty road," and - "on another occasion several of us went fishing on the Umgusa - with us was Francis Newman who was an excellent shot with the catapult. Whilst fishing a banded cobra appeared on a sloping rock on the other side of the narrow river. Newman let go hitting it on the head - the snake slithered down the rock. Nauson took off fast and that after overtaking a duiker my cross country run was marked by large spurts of dust".

John Ewing (mi) writes "once on one of the school scouting experience I was a member of the attacking force that had to get home to base without being detected. On our homeward "tick" we naturally took advantage of all available cover; one bit of cover was, unknown to us, a beehive inside a barb-wired enclosure. My companion and I must have disturbed the bees and in no time we were being stung by the bees. We took off fast and while going through the fence I tore my shirt and cut my back badly and lost a shoe. While running with flailing arms and being stung we came across Albany Bickle an older scout who told us to lie down in the grass and feign death. We did this and the bees stopped stinging us and finally dispersed. We got back to school safely after all this. The school took a dim view of the loss of the shoe and I was instructed to return to the scene of the incident the next day and find the missing shoe. 1 never went near the place but reported back that I had been unable to find it! The top half of this shoe was found some months later but the sole had been eaten by white ants. The chastisement I recelved was simply nothing compared to the pain from all those stings!

Alastair Ewing (ma) remembers the little Belgian boy, Ettienne Piernet, down from Elizabethville in the Congo who had probably smoked from the-age of 6. He collected all the 'stompies' he could lay his hands on which he smoked in the latrines -no fancy word "toilet" existed in our language! He was always prepared to offer you one of his stompies and was quite dumbfounded when his offer was turned down and he would say "You noa smoka da sigretta? Noa!

His knowledge of English was virtually nil. He was 'taken short' in the classroom one day and after waving his arm frantically but in vain he yelled out "Monsieur, Monsieur all'ez go shit. Yes he was allowed to go to the latrines -probably to have another puff at his stompie.